Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Gentle Giant

I've been thinking a lot about my Grandpa, Ronald Keith "Grumpy" James, and wishing I could be near him. When I was growing up, Grumpy was always there to take us grandkids out for bubblegum ice-cream, where he'd proceed to devour half our cones in one lick, under the guise that he was "helping with the drips". We would convulse in laughter when he showed us how he could open a neighbour's garage door with a click of his own button, and he delighted us further by steering the car home with his knees. Even after the amputation of his first leg, he still seemed so big and strong, and was amazingly adept at using the end of his crutch to twist up our shirts and yank us towards him for a hug. This is how I always think of him-- happy, mischievious, and affectionate. Even in the face of tremendous hardships, Grumpy has always been one of the sweetest, funniest, and all around best people I have ever known... or probably will ever know.
I love you so much Grumpy,
XOXO,
Lindsay, aka (The Orignal) Dizzy

Here are some photographs I had on my computer of my Grandpa through the years:


5 comments:

  1. Gramps was one stone cold fox in his prime! I sure do love him, anf I love you for this post [and many more reasons too!]
    Darius' comment is,"I'm not Papa James because I have two legs. But no one can be my Papa James but Papa James!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. He seems like a real firecracker! Great post Lindsay. I love the photos, you can really see the resemblance between your grandmother and you, just somewhere around the eyes. I also have a Grumpy, which is amazing, because I don't think I've ever met another "Grumps" before. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. he really is a firecracker! thanks ruby <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lindsay, those are great pictures of Keith in his younger years. What an amazing giant he is. He has left an amazing mark in this world with the life he lived. Love to all of the families left behind. XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete