Friday, August 5, 2011

The Absolute Ultimate

With a summer as hot as this one it's a necessity to swim at least a couple times a week. Maddie's loving it, but swimming with a baby has made me realize how bad of a swimmer I still am. I was a swimming class dropout, I still have to plug my nose, and frankly it's a miracle I can keep my head above the water even without a baby in my arms. Which is why it's pretty funny that I went through a surfing phase. Well I guess I mostly went through a Gidget phase. And not all the Gidgets, but specifically Sandra Dee, the original squeaky-voiced-Skipper-doll one-- although, maybe me and the strange older gentleman I was talking to at my garage sale really know the difference.



Perhaps it's the Pee Wee fan in me that has always loved that kind of sugary sweet teeny-bop culture that's as chock-full of inuendo as it is of creepy and outdated morals (Gidget has a needlepoint in her room that reads "To be a real woman is to bring out the best in a man"). But at the same time... jeez, I just love a good rom-com. And especially one that features a heroine that has such an amazing collection of bathing suits, and who makes such convincing faces during her horrendously staged surfing scenes.

In order to make my dream come true of becoming Gidget (minus the bleached hair and eating disorder) my plan for next summer is as follows:

1. Get both Maddie and myself into swim classes
2. Buy a cute Minnow Bather like I said I would
3. Figure out how to get to Australia for a visit and take a surf lesson or two

Ok, so maybe it's more of a five-year plan.


2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to see you surfing Pooch

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly the Sandra Dee "Gidget" is one of my favorite movies of alllllll time! I want to watch this with you!!

    ReplyDelete